The Math Mesh addon allows us to define a mathematical curve between two vertices. Think of a sinus soundwave where you can set the frequency and skew. This comes in handy when we want to make curtains or corrugated sheets.
How to use the Math Mesh addon?
It might be a bit tricky at first, but it is pretty simple. Here an example.
- Enable Add Mesh: Extra Objects, if you don’t have it enabled yet. (It’s very handy).
- Press Shift+A, and then: M,S,A (That is Add Mesh, Single Vert, Add Single Vert)
- Press 1 for Vertex Select Mode. Select the vertex if it is not selected yet.
- Press Shift D, X. and move the second vertex a bit away from the first one.
- Press A to select All.
- Press F3 and type: Math. Click Math Mesh.
- An operator will pop up where you can adjust settings for the curve.
Settings in the operator
- Curve Type. You can choose between Circular and Sine. Circular curves are a bit more round and Sine sharper.
- Curve Plane. On what axis in the viewport you want to have the curve on. (XZ, XZ, YZ or View).
- Number of Curves. Defines how many curves you want between the two vertices.
- Curve Vertices. Defines how many vertices you want that define each curve.
- Amplitude Type. How the amplitude is calculated.
- Amplitude and Power. Not sure what the difference is, but they both seem to influence the amplitude of the curve.
- Skew. Skews the Curve.
- Alternate. When you switch it on, you will get absolute values, meaning -1 is 1. (You want negative part of the curve, or not).
Where can I download the Math Mesh Addon?
You can download the Math Mesh addon on Github. Installation of the add-on in Blender 2.8 goes as usual. On Github click the green button to download the .zip file. In Blender you go to Edit > Preferences > Addons > Install. Then Browse to the .zip file you just downloaded. Press Install, activate the addon, save preferences and refresh. More information to be found at: Blenderscript Blog.
New Media Supply on Social Media
This website and article is provided by New Media Supply and you can find NMS here:
By engaging on Social Media you will support New Media Supply and this website. So if you have some time, thanks in advance!
EEVEE Production suite released!
It's amazing what we can do in Blender for such a small download. The downside of it is that we need to take a lot of steps for even the simplest things. And it could be so fast to produce, especially with EEVEE. The EEVEE Production suite is going to help you getting productive: just get your asset of model in the scene and produce... produce... produce.... Available on Blender Market. Click and see.