Instant Meshes Remesh
Instant Meshes Remesh, as you might guess is an addon to remesh your mesh. For example when you sculpt with Dynotopo, the topology is so ugly that you need to remesh it. This can be done by hand but it takes usually a lot of time. Sometimes you can get away with automatic remesh. Blender has a build in Mesh modifier, but Instant Meshes Remesh that uses the Instant Remesh software is more sophisticated.
The installation procedure can be a little bit tricky, but if you follow the steps below it’s a piece of cake. You need two downloads: the Instant Meshes Remesh addon and the Instant Meshes software. Instant Meshes Remesh is the mediator between Instant Meshes and Blender.
Better alternatives for remeshing
I notice that this article is one of the most articles on the Blender-addons website. That surprises me because there are now quite some alternatives. If you are looking for a free remesher, I suggest you to look at the new addon called Open Source Auto Remesher which is doing quite a better job. And meanwhile we have now also the build in Voxel Remesh in Blender and also the QuadriFlow Remesh. Therefore I don’t see much reason to use Instant Meshes Remesher
How to install the install the Instant Meshes Remesh addon.
- Download and install Instant Meshes from wjakob on github first.
- You do this by pressing the green button and choose: Download Zip.
- Extract the file on a location you prefer. That’s it.
- Then download the Instant Meshes Remesh by Knekke.
- And that is the tricky part. It depends a bit on the browser how the file is saved. For example if you do it in Edge, there is a change you see HTML code in the file. In that case it didn’t go well. Check the source (notepad or so) an it has to start with bl_info, not a html tag.
- So once you have the B28_InstantMeshesRemesh.py, open Blender, go to Edit >Preferences > Install. And in the File Browser, look for the file you just downloaded. In the preferences of the addon, you set the path to the Instant Meshes executable. For example in my case: C:\Users\Flatron\Downloads\instant-meshes-windows\Instant Meshes.exe
- It could be, after installing the addon, you need to restart Blender. In my case it was need.
- As last, to use the addon, select a mesh, press F3 and type: instant Meshes. Then you will see the settings for Instant Meshes Remesh as in the screenshot here.
11 thoughts on “Instant Meshes Remesh”
oh my gawwwwd !!!
It’s been 15 years i dream of this !
before i used the 2.49 !!!
Definetely i get it !!!! and will pay for it when i get credz !!!!
congratz and thanks a bunch !!!!
happy blending !
Hi, the Instant Meshes Remesh is free, so you don’t have to pay for it. Though, it could be that the developer is happy with a donation. Later on I see your comment that it didn’t work. Do you have some details, probably I can help with that. If not, we can ask the developer. I had once an issue with the addon and he solved it.
Hi!. Where is the Instant Meshes.exe? I don’t know where it was stored or where it should be.
I replied before on my phone, but seems it didn’t post the message. I suppose Instant Meshes.exe is in your download folder because you don’t need to install it as far as I remember. (Portable software). You can download instant Meshes here: https://github.com/wjakob/instant-meshes. Safe the .zip file to a location you easily remember. Then unzip and in the addon, you point to the exe file.
Thank you very much, I already found it, it was my mistake
Hi, I can download the zip file of Instant Meshes but can’t do the same with the Instant Mesh Remesh (if I click on the link a web page with a code appears). How should I do? Thank’s
For all of those who can’t find Instant Meshes.exe, read this 🙂 https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dmodeling/comments/5gwr7k/installing_instant_meshes/
For the link provided that leads you to the page of code. Instead of clicking the link, Right click the link and click ‘Save as’ Save it in the same folder as the .exe file then when you look for it in Blender preferences, install the .py file
Me again. I apologize for the earlier post. THIS is how to correctly do this… 1.) Right click and save link as .py file. ok, then 2.) install the .py file then specify where the .exe file is in preferences. there will be a little folder below the add on in the preference window. (If you have Windows be sure to scroll down and find the windows version on github.
Blender 3.2 gives error message:
Python: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\Blago\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\3.2\scripts\addons\B28_InstantMeshesRemesh.py”, line 131, in execute
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.2\3.2\python\lib\subprocess.py”, line 501, in run
with Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs) as process:
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.2\3.2\python\lib\subprocess.py”, line 966, in __init__
self._execute_child(args, executable, preexec_fn, close_fds,
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender 3.2\3.2\python\lib\subprocess.py”, line 1435, in _execute_child
hp, ht, pid, tid = _winapi.CreateProcess(executable, args,
OSError: [WinError 87] The parameter is incorrect
What to do?
under edit > preferences > add-ons > community > Object: instant meshes remesh make sure the instant meshes exe file is called up under preferences, mine was not and it fixed this error for me