Building Tools Addon
The Building Tools addon allows you to build a house in Edit mode with a few clicks. You can add Floors (Level), Windows, Railing, Doors, Balcony and Roof. They all have several presets or you can tweak them with the operator.
For some reason the Building Tools addon for Blender 2.8 didn’t get much attention which is a bit odd it seems. The models you can make with this are suitable for stylized animations. And with some effort of course you could even use it for ArchViz. The result you get with this addon is somewhere between low- and high-poly.
How to use the Building Tools addon.
It is quite simple. You can find the addon in the N-Panel after installation. And you start with “Create Floorplan”. An operator (left-bottom) will pop up and there you tweak the floorplan. Then select the floorplan, go in Edit mode. Then click “Add Floor” and choose in the operator how many floors you want.
- To add a Windows, select a face and press “Add Windows”. Tweak the operator.
- To add a Door, the same. Select a face and press “Add Door”. Use the operator to tweak the door.
- To add a balcony, that’s slightly different. In this case you need to select the face of a slab / floor and not the face of a wall.
- To add railing is also different: Select a face like a plane on the floor or a flat roof. You can add your own plane. It even works when the the plane has more faces. The railing will be created on the outer edges.
- To add Stairs. Same as with Balcony: In this case you need to select the face of a slab / floor and not the face of a wall. Probably you want to use the ground floor and add a door first.
- Add Roof. On top. When the floor-plan is not rectangle, it might be that a gabled roof doesn’t work.
Where can you download the Building Tools Addon?
Download can be found here: https://ranjian0.github.io/building_tools/
Or is also available on Github: https://github.com/ranjian0/building_tools
Installation is as usual.
13 thoughts on “Building Tools Addon”
It seems like the GitHub Link is broken currently, really wanted to try this add on and can’t find it by searching GitHub/Google.
Thanks for notification, I see it indeed.
For now you could take a look at these links:
^__^ Thank you so much! Love what you are doing with this site
Thanks, that’s always good to hear.
when i click to install the addon (2.8) it will say modules installed like usual but it wont do anything. the addon doesnt show up in the preferences list or anything. can anyone help?
Delet dot in adress and name
I tried installing this add-on after taking all dots out, building_tool-096-rc2.zip but when I try to click on it, I get an error,
building_tool-0, no module name found in line 351 in module addon_utils.py. I’m using blender 2.81.
Remove dots from installed addon. Lookhere: …AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.81\scripts\addons\building_tool-096-rc2
Hi there, I have used 3 different versions of your addon, which by the way is brilliant but I can’t use it:
Keep getting this error no matter what I’m doing. I did remove the dots from file name and address as requested but it didn’t help with this, and sometimes my program just outright closes down at random after any function I’m trying to perform.
Hi, it’s no my addon. I just post about addons on this site.
To doublecheck if the addon still works, I had no issue. What I tried was this link: https://github.com/ranjian0/building_tool
I clicked on download and was no need to change any filename in this case.
same thing (2.9)
Really love this one. Thank you so much.
I wonder if it would be possible to add Multi FloorPlane Support.
Like having 30 or more planes selected as a floorplane and then add 2 floors for it and a roof. that would be nice. if you can creat quickly a village in Blender GIS
Hi Dr. David Schneider,
I think it’s best to contact the developer of the addon on the Blender Artists forum: https://blenderartists.org/u/ranjian0/summary